children now

How to Sign Up

When Can I Sign Up?

ANYTIME. The law extending Medi-Cal coverage for former foster youth up to age 26 took effect on January 1, 2014. There is no open enrollment period for Medi-Cal and you can apply anytime of the year.

How Do I Sign Up?

OPTION 1: Through the County

Most counties have a specific office, phone number, or staff to help you enroll in the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth. Read our enrollment tips below and be sure to check out our information on the best way to apply for Medi-Cal coverage in YOUR COUNTY.

NOTE: If you leave foster care at age 18 or older after January 1, 2014, you do not need to reapply for Medi-Cal coverage. You will be automatically moved into the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth when you leave care. You can contact your Medi-Cal worker or county social service office to make sure you are in the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth.

OPTION 2: Online Through Covered California

You can also sign up online at The online application includes a question about whether anyone applying for health care was in foster care at age 18 or older. If you answer “yes” to this question, you should immediately be enrolled in the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth. If you are only applying for health care for yourself, the online application will not ask you for income and tax information once you answer “yes” to the question. But if you decide to apply online through Covered California you will need to give more information about yourself than you need to give if you apply through the county using the MC 250A form.

Enrollment Tips through the county:

Be sure to say you are a former foster youth when you go to sign up.

Be sure to say if you were in foster care in another state so that the county will know which state to contact to verify that you were in foster care at 18 or older.

You can use a simple, one-page form (called the MC 250A) to sign up.  Bring this form with you when you go to sign up or ask for it when you go to your Medi-Cal office.  Remember, you can only use this form if you apply through the county directly.

Tips on what to say or do

Here are some tips on what to say or do if a county worker doesn’t know about this Medi-Cal program or if you think the worker is giving you wrong information:

  • Former foster youth should be enrolled in the Former Foster Youth (FFY) coverage group.
  • Former foster youth should be assigned the “4M” aid code.
  • Former foster youth do NOT have to provide income information. This is because former foster youth get Medi-Cal no matter how much money they make.
  • Former foster youth do NOT have to fill out the full Medi-Cal application. Former foster youth can apply using the one-page MC 250A form.
  • You DO NOT have to provide proof that you were in foster care at age 18 or older. The county will verify that you were in foster care at age 18 or older.

What’s the best way to sign up in MY COUNTY?

We have gathered information on the best and easiest ways for you to sign up in your county and will keep updating this information as we learn more. Look below for information on the best way to apply in your county.

Not sure which county you live in? Click here to find out.

Don’t see your county listed below? Don’t worry we are working to add information on more counties. In the meantime, you can download our county contact list. If we do not yet have a specific contact in your county, we have listed the main county office where you can go to apply.

Alameda County

Call the Foster Care Eligibility Hotline at (510) 268-2500 to enroll. Marilyn Balderas and Selia Johnson are the Foster Care Program Specialists.

Alpine County

Call Lucie Morotti at (530) 694-2235 ext. 231 or Gabriel Chavarin at (530) 694-2235 ext. 224.

Butte County

Call Tami McArthur at (530) 538-5238.

Calaveras County

Call Brian Galicia at (209) 754-6872.

Contra Costa County

Call the Children and Family Services Bureau Foster Care Unit at (925) 522-7410.

Del Norte County

Call Melissa Golden at (707) 464-3191 ext. 2622 OR Sara Tucker at (707) 464-3191 ext. 2636.

El Dorado County

Call (530) 642-7300. Say you are a former foster youth and ask to speak with someone in the Foster Care Unit.

Fresno County

Call Raul Hurtado at (559) 600-4019, OR
Christina Escobedo at (559) 600-4024
Crocker Building (1st Floor)
2135 Fresno Street
Fresno, CA 93721

Humboldt County

Call Tim McDermond, Health Care Coverage Analyst, at (707) 268-2783.

Imperial County

Call Rosa Quihuis at (760) 337-6820.
2995 South 4th St. Suite 105
El Centro, CA 92243

Kern County

Former foster youth in Kern County have two convenient options:

  1. Call or visit the Dream Center and Coffee House at (661) 636-4488 or 1212 18th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301.
  2. Call the Kern County Department of Human Services at (661) 631-6807.

Los Angeles County

Call Dorian Madrid, DPSS, at (626) 313-5503 or Duy Johnson, DPSS, at (626) 313-5505.

Madera County

Call Marilyn Quick, Eligibility Worker III, at (559) 662-8366.

Mariposa County

Former foster youth in Mariposa County have three convenient options:

  1. Call Maria Swiecki, Eligibility Worker III, at (209) 742-0834.
  2. Email your completed MC 250A form to
  3. Apply in person at 5362 Lemee Lane, Mariposa CA 95338.

Mendocino County

Call Jan Wellman at (707) 463-7967.

Modoc County

Former foster youth in Modoc County have two convenient options:

  1. Apply in-person at the Department of Social Services. Ask for Paige Fuentes. 120 N. Main St., Alturas, CA 96101
  2. Fax your completed MC 250A form to Paige Fuentes at (530) 233-2136.

Monterey County

Former foster youth in Monterey County have two convenient options:

  1. Call 1-866-323-1953 to apply by phone.
  2. Apply in-person at 1000 S. Main Street Suite 216, Salinas, CA 93901.

Napa County

Call Vivian Wesley at (707) 253-4538 or email

Nevada County

Call Beth Andrews at (530) 265-1646.

Orange County

Former foster youth in Orange County have three convenient options:

  1. Call (714) 704-8382.
  2. Fax your MC 250A form to “Attention: Claudia Gomez” at (714) 704-8757.
  3. Apply in-person at the Social Services Agency Foster Care Office, 840 N. Eckhoff Street Orange, CA 92868

Placer County

Call Julia Chao at (530) 886-5219.
You can also apply in-person at any of the following county Medi-Cal offices:

Auburn Office:
Placer County Government Center
11542 B Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603
(530) 889-7610

Rocklin Office:
1000 Sunset Blvd. Suite 220
Rocklin, CA 95765
(916) 784-6000

North Tahoe Office:
5225 North Lake Blvd.
Carnelian Bay, CA 96140
(530) 546-1900

Riverside County

Call the Medi-Cal hotline for current and former foster youth at (951) 358-3544.

Sacramento County

Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance
1725 28th Street
Sacramento, CA 95816
(916) 874-3100 OR (209) 744-0499

If you have problems signing up, call Alisa Young, Assistant Program Specialist Medi-Cal, at (916) 875-3528.

San Bernardino County

Call Kalilah Hudson at (909) 475-8508 or email your completed MC 250A form to

San Diego County

Call or visit the Family Resource Center closest to you.

Center City
Call Sebrina Jackman at (619) 338-2582 or Casey Allard  (619) 338-2230
1255 Imperial Ave. 5th Floor
San Diego, CA 92101

El Cajon
Call Shawnna George (619) 401-6008, Veronica Martinez at (619) 401-6150, Julie Singleton at (619) 401-6194, Nicole Hamano-Do at (619) 401-6094.
220 S. First Street
El Cajon, CA 92019

Lemon Grove
Call Jacqueline Castleman at (619) 668-3865 or Nicole Shepherd at (619) 668-3906
7065 Broadway
Lemon Grove, CA 91945

Call Iliana Rabago at (619) 744-5177
1130 10th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92010

National City
Call Adela Guzman at (619) 731-3275
Live Well Center, 401 Mile of Cars Way, Suite 203
National City, CA 91950

North Central
Call Nereida Hoffman at (858) 573-7356,  Midori Roberson at (858) 573-7451, Erica Riodique at (858) 573-7360, or Tiffani Hood at (858) 573-8396
5055 Ruffin Rd.
San Diego, CA 92123

North Coastal
Call  Jaime Guerrero at (760) 754-5750 or Isis Zepeda at (760) 754-5817
1315 Union Plaza Court
Oceanside, CA 92054

North Inland
Call John Prieto at (760) 740-3482, Diana Martinez at  (760) 740-3440, or Maria Rodriguez at (760) 740-3384
Live Well Center, 649 W. Mission Ave. #3
Escondido, CA 92025

Call Veronica Cruz at (619) 589-4592 or Mariana Edwards at (619) 668-5561
5001 73rd St.
San Diego, CA 92115

South Region
Call Cynthia Lopez at (619) 409-3278, Daniel Izaguirre at (619) 409-3164, or  Zuleika Rosa at (619) 409-3283
690 Oxford St. Suite E
Chula Vista, CA 91910

Call Jenine Lawrence at (619) 266-3917 or Diana De La Torre at (619) 266-3705
4588 Market St.
San Diego, CA 92102

San Francisco County

Call Dora Granera, Supervisor, at (415) 355-6823.

San Joaquin County

Call Frank Hernandez, Foster Care Eligibility Supervisor, at (209) 468-2025.

San Luis Obispo County

Call JoAnn Overbey, Foster Care Program Specialist, at (805) 781-1891.

San Mateo County

Call Yadira Santillan at (650) 802-7674 OR Eileen Bruins at (650) 802-5103.
1 Davis Drive
Belmont, CA 94002

Santa Barbara County

Call Vidal Chiprez, Eligibility Supervisor, at (805) 681-4442 OR Blanca Diaz at (805) 346-7271.

Santa Clara County

Former foster youth in Santa Clara County have three convenient options:

  1. Meet with County Social Worker Nicolas Castellanos during his drop-in hours at The Hub on Wednesday afternoons. The Hub is located at 591 N. King Road, San Jose, CA 95133.
  2. Call Nicolas to make an appointment to meet at another time: (408) 501-6889.
  3. Call the County’s Foster Care Eligibility unit: (408) 271-7400.

Santa Cruz County

Call the Benefits Call Center at (888) 421-8080.

Shasta County

Call Rod Delfer, Supervisor, at (530) 229-8283.

Siskiyou County

Call Ginger Johnston, Eligibility Worker III, at (530) 841-4821.

Solano County

Call Jackie Coleman, Special Programs Supervisor, at (707) 784-8424

Sonoma County

Family Youth and Children’s Services
1202 Apollo Way,
Santa Rosa, CA 95402
(707) 565-4300

Stanislaus County

Call Ginny Townsley at (209) 558-1193 OR Eleanore McClaran at (209) 558-2236.

Tulare County

Call Rosemary Juarez, Foster Care Supervisor, at (559) 623-0358.

Ventura County

Call Laura Pariseau at (805) 654-3451 OR Laura Wuertele at (805) 654-3427.

Yolo County

Call Katya Lopez-Arreola at (530) 661-2787 OR email her at
Department of Employment and Social Services
25 North Cottonwood St
Woodland, CA 95695

Need more help?

Having trouble getting Medi-Cal or other health care services? Click here for a list of legal service providers who might be able to help you.