How to Sign Up
When Can I Sign Up?
ANYTIME. The law extending Medi-Cal coverage for former foster youth up to age 26 took effect on January 1, 2014. There is no open enrollment period for Medi-Cal and you can apply anytime of the year.
How Do I Sign Up?
BEST WAY TO SIGN UP: Through the County
Most counties have a specific office, phone number, or staff to help you enroll in the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth. Read our enrollment tips below and be sure to check out our information on the best way to apply for Medi-Cal coverage in YOUR COUNTY.
NOTE: If you leave foster care at age 18 or older after January 1, 2014, you do not need to reapply for Medi-Cal coverage. You will be automatically moved into the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth when you leave care. You can contact your Medi-Cal worker or county social service office to make sure you are in the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth.
Be sure to say you are a former foster youth when you go to sign up.
Be sure to say if you were in foster care in another state so that the county will know which state to contact to verify that you were in foster care at 18 or older.
You can use a simple, one-page form (called the MC 250A) to sign up. Bring this form with you when you go to sign up or ask for it when you go to your Medi-Cal office. Remember, you can only use this form if you apply through the county directly.
Tips on what to say or do
Here are some tips on what to say or do if a county worker doesn’t know about this Medi-Cal program or if you think the worker is giving you wrong information:
- Former foster youth should be enrolled in the Former Foster Care Child (FFCC) coverage group.
- Former foster youth should be assigned the “4M” aid code.
- Former foster youth do NOT have to provide income information. This is because former foster youth get Medi-Cal no matter how much money they make.
- Former foster youth do NOT have to fill out the full Medi-Cal application. Former foster youth can apply using the one-page MC 250A form.
- The State recently sent a letter telling county workers about the extended Medi-Cal program for former foster youth. It might help to bring this letter with you when you go to sign up. Give it to the person helping you if he or she doesn’t know about the program for former foster youth. You can download the letter here.
- The County Welfare Directors Association also sent a letter telling county workers about this program. It might also help to bring this letter with you when you go to sign up. You can download the letter here.
- You DO NOT have to provide proof that you were in foster care at age 18 or older. The county will verify that you were in foster care at age 18 or older.
What’s the best way to sign up in MY COUNTY?
We have gathered information on the best and easiest ways for you to sign up in your county and will keep updating this information as we learn more. Look below for information on the best way to apply in your county.
Not sure which county you live in? Click here to find out.
Don’t see your county listed below? Don’t worry we are working to add information on more counties. In the meantime, you can download our county contact list. If we do not yet have a specific contact in your county, we have listed the main county office where you can go to apply.
Call the Foster Care Eligibility Hotline at (510) 268-2500 to enroll. Marilyn Balderas and Selia Johnson are the Foster Care Program Specialists.
Call Lucie Morotti at (530) 694-2235 ext. 231 or Gabriel Chavarin at (530) 694-2235 ext. 224.
Call Tami McArthur at (530) 538-5238.
Call Brian Galicia at (209) 754-6872.
Contra Costa County
Call the Children and Family Services Bureau Foster Care Unit at (925) 522-7410.
Del Norte County
Call Melissa Golden at (707) 464-3191 ext. 2622 OR Sara Tucker at (707) 464-3191 ext. 2636.
El Dorado County
Call (530) 642-7300. Say you are a former foster youth and ask to speak with someone in the Foster Care Unit.
Call Raul Hurtado at (559) 600-4019, OR
Christina Escobedo at (559) 600-4024
Crocker Building (1st Floor)
2135 Fresno Street
Fresno, CA 93721
Call Tim McDermond, Health Care Coverage Analyst, at (707) 268-2783.
Call Rosa Quihuis at (760) 337-6820.
2995 South 4th St. Suite 105
El Centro, CA 92243
Former foster youth in Kern County have two convenient options:
- Call or visit the Dream Center and Coffee House at (661) 636-4488 or 1212 18th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301.
- Call the Kern County Department of Human Services at (661) 631-6807.
Los Angeles County
Call Dorian Madrid, DPSS, at (626) 927-2690.
Call Marilyn Quick, Eligibility Worker III, at (559) 662-8366.
Former foster youth in Mariposa County have three convenient options:
- Call Maria Swiecki, Eligibility Worker III, at (209) 742-0834.
- Email your completed MC 250A form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Apply in person at 5362 Lemee Lane, Mariposa CA 95338.
Call Jan Wellman at (707) 463-7967.
Former foster youth in Modoc County have two convenient options:
- Apply in-person at the Department of Social Services. Ask for Paige Fuentes. 120 N. Main St., Alturas, CA 96101
- Fax your completed MC 250A form to Paige Fuentes at (530) 233-2136.
Former foster youth in Monterey County have two convenient options:
- Call 1-866-323-1953 to apply by phone.
- Apply in-person at 1000 S. Main Street Suite 216, Salinas, CA 93901.
Call Vivian Wesley at (707) 253-4538 or email Vivian.email@example.com.
Call Beth Andrews at (530) 265-1646.
Former foster youth in Orange County have three convenient options:
- Call (714) 704-8382.
- Fax your MC 250A form to “Attention: Claudia Gomez” at (714) 704-8757.
- Apply in-person at the Social Services Agency Foster Care Office, 840 N. Eckhoff Street Orange, CA 92868
Call Julia Chao at (530) 886-5219.
You can also apply in-person at any of the following county Medi-Cal offices:
Placer County Government Center
11542 B Avenue
Auburn, CA 95603
1000 Sunset Blvd. Suite 220
Rocklin, CA 95765
North Tahoe Office:
5225 North Lake Blvd.
Carnelian Bay, CA 96140
Call the Medi-Cal hotline for current and former foster youth at (951) 358-3544.
Sacramento County Department of Human Assistance
1725 28th Street
Sacramento, CA 95816
(916) 874-3100 OR (209) 744-0499
If you have problems signing up, call Heidi Kerhulas, Assistant Program Specialist Medi-Cal, at (916) 875-3528.
San Bernardino County
Call Tina Delair, Eligibility Worker III at (909) 388-1970 or email your completed MC 250A form to firstname.lastname@example.org
San Diego County
Call or visit the Family Resource Center closest to you.
Call Ana Chavez at (619) 338-2017
1255 Imperial Ave. 5th Floor
San Diego, CA 92101
Call Lupe Valencia at (619) 401-6157
220 S. First Street
El Cajon, CA 92019
Call Candace Baptise at (619) 668-3909
Lemon Grove, CA 91945
Call Iliana Rabago at (619) 744-5177
1130 10th Ave.
San Diego, CA 92101
Call Diana Benitez at (858) 573-7495
5055 Ruffin Rd.
San Diego, CA 92123
Call Evelyn Sifuentes at (760) 754-3594
1701 Mission Ave.
Oceanside, CA 92058
Call Charles Hazel at (760) 740-4167
600 East Valley Parkway
Escondido, CA 92025
Call Javier Pena at (619) 589-4546
5001 73rd St.
San Diego, CA 92115
Call Armando Galvan at (619) 409-3172 or Ifrah Jamma at (619) 409-3314
690 Oxford St. Suite E
Chula Vista, CA 91910
Call Latiasha Alexander at (619) 266-3704
4588 Market St.
San Diego, CA 92102
Health Coverage Access/ Hospital Outstation
Call Janet McLaughlin at (858) 636-3704
5469 Kearny Villa Rd., 3rd Floor
San Diego, CA 92123
San Francisco County
Call Dora Granera, Supervisor, at (415) 558-1934
San Joaquin County
Call Frank Hernandez, Foster Care Eligibility Supervisor, at (209) 468-2025.
San Luis Obispo County
Call Anita Adock, Foster Care Eligibility Supervisor, at (805) 781-1782.
San Mateo County
Call Yadira Santillan at (650) 802-7674 OR Eileen Bruins at (650) 802-5103.
1 Davis Drive
Belmont, CA 94002
Santa Barbara County
Call Vidal Chiprez, Eligibility Supervisor, at (805) 681-4442 OR Blanca Diaz at (805) 346-7271.
Santa Clara County
Former foster youth in Santa Clara County have three convenient options:
- Meet with County Social Worker Nicolas Castellanos during his drop-in hours at The Hub on Wednesday afternoons. The Hub is located at 591 N. King Road, San Jose, CA 95133.
- Call Nicolas to make an appointment to meet at another time: (408) 501-6889.
- Call the County’s Foster Care Eligibility unit: (408) 271-7400.
Santa Cruz County
Call the Benefits Call Center at (888) 421-8080.
Call Rod Delfer, Supervisor, at (530) 229-8283.
Call Ginger Johnston, Eligibility Worker III, at (530) 841-4821.
Call Jackie Coleman, Special Programs Supervisor, at (707) 784-8424
Family Youth and Children’s Services
1202 Apollo Way,
Santa Rosa, CA 95402
Call Ginny Townsley at (209) 558-1193 OR Eleanore McClaran at (209) 558-2236.
Call Rosemary Juarez, Foster Care Supervisor, at (559) 623-0358.
Call Laura Pariseau at (805) 654-3451 OR Laura Wuertele at (805) 654-3427.
Call Katya Lopez-Arreola at (530) 661-2787 OR email her at email@example.com
Department of Employment and Social Services
25 North Cottonwood St
Woodland, CA 95695
NOT READY YET: Other ways to sign up: Online or through Covered California
Right now, applying online or calling Covered California are NOT the best, easiest, or quickest ways to enroll in the Medi-Cal program for former foster youth.
Why is this?
- You shouldn’t have to answer questions about income, taxes, and employment.
- But, right now, the online application does not let former foster youth skip unnecessary application questions. Until fixes are made, you will have to complete the full online application. This means you will have to answer many unnecessary questions and/or provide unnecessary paperwork.
- Also, until changes are made, it’s likely that former foster youth who apply online or call Covered California won’t be quickly enrolled in the correct Medi-Cal program for former foster youth.
- You probably will be able to access services much sooner if you apply directly through the county rather than applying online or through Covered California.
Need more help?
Having trouble getting Medi-Cal or other health care services? Click here for a list of legal service providers who might be able to help you.